TOTAL FIRE BAN - KAIKOURA DISTRICT IS NOW IN EFFECT
The Marlborough Kaikoura Principal Rural Fire Officer Richard McNamara has imposed a Prohibited Fire Season (TOTAL FIRE BAN) in the Kaikoura District.
A Total Fire Ban is effective immediately in all of the Kaikoura District - See The Regional Fire Season Status Map.
All fire permits already issued are suspended immediately.
- Gas-fired barbecues and other such gas-fired devices are not included in the Total fire ban.
- This Prohibited Fire Season (Total Fire Ban) will remain in force until further notice.
This Total Fire Ban in the Kaikoura District is in place due to:
- The reduced capability of emergency services to respond and suppress an outbreak of wildfire in the Kaikoura area due to the response requirements of the earthquake and after-shocks
- The reduced access due to damage to roads and access-ways to homes and properties in both the urban and rural areas
- The reduced access to rural and urban reticulated water systems due to quake damage
A request was made by the NZ Fire Service to impose the TOTAL FIRE BAN which the Marlborough Kaikoura Rural Fire Authority fully supports.
Please be patient as news of the total fire ban will take time to filter through the Kaikoura district due to the reduced capacity to spread this message.
This ban does not apply to outside solid fuel fires used for cooking, where there is no alternative.
Want to get a sense of what this Mag 7.8 Quake did to the communities on the east coast of the south Island NZ...? Check it out here